Shatki district

The Shatki district takes a special place in the history of the Nizhny Novgorod region and Russia in general. Here, on the Shatki land, the Leningrad schoolgirl Tanya Savicheva is buried, who is known for keeping a dairy since the beginning of the Siege of Leningrad in a notebook that earlier belonged to her sister Nina. The diary had only 9 pages, 6 of which contained the dates when Tanya’s relatives died. The diary of Tanya Savicheva has become one of the iconic symbols of the Great Patriotic War.
On July 19, 1943, Shatki village received a train with children rescued from sieged Leningrad. 129 of them were saved owing to the care of Shatki people, except Tanya, who died on July 1, 1944 in the Shatki hospital and was buried in the Shatki cemetery. In 1972, a memorial was constructed here with a bar-relief of the girl and the pages of her diary. A marble tombstone on Tanya’s grave was installed in May 1981. In 1985, the memorial complex “No-one is forgotten, noting is forgotten” was opened and in 2010 — the memorial complex “To Tanya Savicheva and Children of War”. She was not a hero but her name, as the writing fairly says, is inscribed in the world history as a symbol of suffering and endurance of children in war.
The Tanya Savisheva Children Museum is opened in Shatki, where tourists are told about the girl’s hard fate.
Staroe Ivantsevo village in the Shatki district has a museum of the Mordovian culture. Mordovian tribes were formed in the area as early as in 1000 A.D. The museum presents objects of daily life, agricultural instruments of labor, tools, handicrafts and craftwork items of the Mordovian population.
In Ponetaevka village an architectural ensemble of the monastery is located, which is revived today as a skete of the Serafimo-Diveyevsky Monastery. The monastery is famous for its wonder-working icon of the Ponetaevka Mother of God “Sign”, the amazingly beautiful style of architecture and icons created by nuns being skillful woodcarving artists, painters and masters of enamel work on metal. At their time, V.G. Korolenko and V.V. Rozanov visited this place. In his philosophical prose “Visiting Quiet Shrines”, V.V. Rozanov described his impressions of the travel and visit to the Monastery. The Monastery views have remained in photographs of the famous Nizhny Novgorod photographer Maxim Dmitriev.
The Shatki district has rich natural heritage. It includes the mineral spring Kipyachy Klyuch with an equipped bath, a hydrogen sulfide spring and a group of lakes with healing mud. Shatki were recognized an area of medical significance and included in the title list of medical areas of the Soviet Union.