The appearance and development of the main settlements at the territory of current Pochinkovskiy district refer to the second half of the 16th century. The name of the district centre Pochinki origins from the old term “pochinok”- new, recently appeared settlement.
Favourable geographical position in many aspects have contributed to turning Pochinki into the largest crafts-trading centre of the south of the Nizhni Novgorod Governorate. Pochinki have been known due to their bazars, where the goods have been brought even from the neighboring districts. Due to it many administrative institutions have been moved from the district centre Lukoyanov to Pochinki.
Pochinkovskiy stud farm has played a big role in the history of Russia, such a plant does not exist nowadays, the plant that would have such a rich history and such an age. It has survived eight tsars of the House of Romanovs, centuries of its existence take the special place not only in the domestic horse breeding but also in the history of Pochinkovskiy district and the Nizhni Novgorod Region. Pochinkovskiy state stud farm has been founded on the 8th of September 1760 in accordance with Elizaveta Petrovna’s decree to strengthen military power of the Russian state. There has been 680 horses here already in 1762. Pochinkovskiy stud farm № 23 is the oldest stud farm in the country, fulfilling state plans on breeding pedigreed horses “Soviet Heavy Draft” and saddle horses.
Orthodox temples are one of the most beautiful, ancient and honorable monuments of town-building and architecture of the regional importance in Pochinkovskiy district. Each has its own history. All Hallows Temple is the most famous and the main temple in the district. The church has been hallowed in 1866 in honor of All Hallows.
The museum of local lore is located in the ancient merchant Loshininy house that has been built in the second half of the 19th century. The huge mandible, spinal bone, teeth and bones of mammoth, maxilla of Coelodonta antiquitatis, potters’ goods, Mordovian decorations from the ancient burial site are stored in the expositions of the museum. Household articles and articles of village way of life are broadly represented. Exhibits of the museum speak about the history of Pochinkovskiy stud farm №23, about the past and present times of Pochinki. The corner of military glory of the district occupies the special place in the museum. There is the interesting exhibit - portrait of the Russian writer L.N.Tolstoy, made in the unusual manner - lines from the work of the writer “The Kreutzer Sonata”. The painter G. Khazin has filled in the clothes, hair and moustache with the smallest text, leaving the writer’s face untouched. The new important exhibit - symbol of Olympic Torch Relay “Sochi-2014”- Olympic Torch has appeared in the museum in 2014.
Vasilevka village is especially remarkable among the villages of Pochinskovskiy district. There have been the reasons for it - it has been the borderline point that has separated Rus from the Steppe and has protected native land from nomad raids. Today the monument “Cross on the sword” has been set up in the village in honor of the Russian state defenders. It is the nine-meter sword, stuck into the earth, there is the 1,5 meters cross on its handle.