In ancient times the cities were often built as fortresses. But not all of them have remained nowadays due to different reasons: territories of the state have changed - former fortresses have become unnecessary. But some of them exist even now. And the history of Vacha is connected with the ancient city Starodub Votskiy that cannot be found on the map now. When the adjective line has been here and there has been Starodub Votskiy fortress, protecting the territory against incursions of the Tatars and Mordovians. But the fortress has disappeared and the city has disappeared after seizure of Kazan in 1552. But village Vacha has appeared nearby.
Beginning of table knives and bread knives making has become the brightest event in the history of this village. This production has begun thanks to the serf Dmitriy Dmitrievich Kondratov. As it frequently happens, the father’s business has been continued by on of the sons Dmitriy Dmitrievich Kondratov. He not only continued but also glorified Vacha: he has received a big gold metal for his goods at the Worldwide exhibition in Paris in 1870. And then the goods have received medals at the exhibitions in London, New York and other cities.
The other houses have appeared thanks to Kondratovy family, their ambitiousness and aspiration to become rich. And nowadays the remaining manor houses are the desert of this family; they are for the people even now.
The interesting fact is that Kondratovy business has preserved in Vacha in addition to manor houses. The enterprise “Trud” has become the successor of Kondratovy business that makes flatware: knives, forks, buffet accessories. 12% of flatware and over 46% of axes are made at this enterprise.
Vacha is glorious for the fact that the Museum of history of police and militia of Vachskiy district is located here. Originals of the documents from the period of tsar’s police and up to the present time are shown in the building of the museum that is located on the second floor. The collection of cold weapons and formal outfit of law enforcement officers is shown here as well. The exposition of the outfit and insignias of the other countries police is of the biggest interest.
And the nature is beautiful around Vacha: the lakes, the river Oka. Thus, villages Klin and Chulkovo are located on the bank of Oka. Dressage centre “Dachniy manezh” is located in Chulkovo, one is able not only to learn how to ride the horse but also to buy it.
The other village Klin is known because of its owners Nekrasovs. The Russian poet’s father Alexey Sergeevich Nekrasov has been the owner of this village and the villages, located nearby. And the poet himself most likely has been here.
The totally new chapel has appeared in the village Zhaisk at the place that has been always called “Knyazheskoe proshenie”. One can recall the legend about Peter and Fevronia exactly here: the second stop of pious family from Murom has been on the bank of river Oka after their expulsion. It is the place near the abrogated Trinity-Premilova desert, and namely near this village Zhaisk, where Memorial cross has been installed now. The subjects have seen the dukes here. Since that time the place near the village Zhaisk has been called “Knyazhenskoe proshenie”. The chapel and monument to Peter and Fevronia have been installed in the 21st century.
The whole complex of Dalne-Davydovskiy Convent has remained in the village Davydovo. The place for the convent has been chosen not by chance: Seraphim Sarovskiy and Antoniy Mramorskiy have stopped here in 1785.
The village Kazakovo of Vachkiy district is the centre of metal art in the filigree technique. But Kazakovo is not the motherland of this craft: masters from the village Krasnoe-na-Volge have acquainted the local skilled people with this creative activity in the 1930-ies. The proximity to Vacha itself has played its role, of course, where from the 19th century they have been dealing with metal processing but not such a delicate one. Now ЗАО “Kazakovskoe enterprise of artistic goods” can be called the inheritor of the first artel and factory.
The traditions of making have remained the same but the assortment has changed significantly, it has expanded: decorative vases, bowls, caskets with music, glass-holders, sweets boxes, wally, tea-spoons, cups, medals, orders, insignias of distinction, items for church act of worship. There is the opportunity to enjoy the best specimens at the plant itself. The exhibition hall works here that looks like the frozen decoration to the fairy-tale about the Snow Queen. The monument to filigree glass-holder has been opened in Kazakovo in 2014.
The most elegant things for interior are being made here and the church in the village is a special one. Nikolsky temple admires and amazes everyone who visits the village for the first time. It is opened not at once and not completely, it appears suddenly and strikes because of its majesty and at the same time easiness, flying cupolas. There is a version that the church has been built as per the design of the French architect Auguste Montferrand in 1828-1841.