The Knyaginino district is located in the southeast of the central part of the Nizhny Novgorod region. Knyaginino town, the district center, is 101 km from Nizhny Novgorod, with which it is connected by a highway of regional significance.
Knyaginino was founded in 1552 by Prince and Voyevoda (military chief) Mikhail Ivanovich Vorotynsky, who received these lands from Tsar Ivan IV for participation in the conquest of Kazan. The Prince accommodated his peasants here and built a church. It is commonly believed that the village was named after this wife, Princess Stefanida — Knyaginino. After a while, the Vorotynsky Princes fell out of graces with the Tsar and Knyaginino village was appropriated by the Palace.
Not far from Knyaginino Ostrovskoe village is located, which is a former domain of the marshal of nobility of the Knyaginino district, Prince Chegodayev. In Ostrovskoe the Forerunner Church built in 1863 by the Price for his family grave (still acting) was preserved and a garden surrounding the Chegodaev estate was partially revived. In Speshnevo village of the Knyaginino district the restored Kazan Church built in 1860 is still functioning. Rubskoe village in the Knyaginino district has a functioning Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God built in 1829.
The Church of Assumption of the Mother of God (“Arkhangelskaya”) built in 1885 was preserved and is still functioning. It was recognized as a town planning and architectural monument.
Other cultural heritage objects include the Pokrov village park “Ozerki” and the park named after the landowners Tolmachevs next to the contemporary village Vozrozhdenie. Both parks are described in the book “Gardens and Parks of the Gorky oblast” by V. Baulin (Gorky, 1981), included in the list of natural parks of the Nizhny Novgorod region and mentioned in the book “Protected Natural Areas of the Nizhny Novgorod region.” (Nizhny Novgorod, 2009).
Since the second half of the 19th century, hattery crafts have developed in Knyaginino, including production of hats and caps of various sorts. It was mentioned in the novel “On the Mountains” by P.I. Melnikov-Pechersky. The Knyaginino clothing factory dates back to 1928 when the cooperative craft society “Shaposhnik” was organized. At present, the acting enterprise JSC Knyaginino Clothing Factory specializes on making headgear and military uniforms.