History of Kovernino village certainly repeats history of all the localities of the Nizhni Novgorod Region North. And most likely it is correct that the centre of this district stands on the river Uzola. In addition to the picturesque views the river determines the type and kind of occupations, it creates a kind of special rhythm. And Kovernino becomes the main settlement of this district from the first years of its existence. One can consider the 17th century to be the time of Kovernino foundation, these lands have belonged to duke Y.F. Dolgorukiy in the 18th century.
These places have attracted creative people at the beginning of the 20th century. They tried to save leaving Russia in their works. Painter B.Kustodiev has visited the village at the beginning of the 20th century, the painter has visited many places of Povolzhie, the remote places as well from 1903 up to 1912. Some researches think that he has been in Kovernino in 1912. Such pictures of the painter as “Fair”, “Khorovod” could become the result of all that trip. Who knows, perhaps, Kovernino women and men are really depicted on these pictures.
Now Kovernino has retained the character of Russian remote place and character of the trading village. Fairs take place here every weekend where you can find everything that Russian forests are rich in: blueberry, wild strawberry, cowberry, cranberry and, of course, mushrooms. Fortunately, the forests give generous gifts nowadays as well. And the sign on the local shop speaks about Kovernino residents’ culinary abilities: “We grow meat ourselves, we cook sausage ourselves”. Old Believer way of life of the village has retained too: there are tabernacle houses here where Old Believers get together.
The belief has been preserved, people’s character is northern too and there are houses, where predecessors have lived. Local police is in the gingerbread house that has been previously occupied by the merchants. The first floor is a stone one, the second one is wooden with carved dorses and the balcony from that one can watch the order best of all. Several companies at once are located in the other curious house, the stone one, including the museum-exhibition centre “Otchina”. There are three permanent expositions here: the main place is certainly occupied by the “History of Khokhloma craft”. And it is correct: our Khokhloma can be definitely seen in every Russian house. The origins of this love are here, in Koverninskiy district.
The church of the village Kovernino has not remained nowadays but the new Church of the Ascension appears in 1999 as if saying that if it seems that belief disappears, it only seems, everything will come back.
One will enjoy just walking along the settlement streets. There are old draw wells and they are not just the monuments - they are used. One needs to walk to the oldest part of the settlement - Rybnaya: beautiful views to the river Uzola are open from here.
Residents of Kovernino think about comfortable “green” rest in the settlement itself notwithstanding many forests in the district. Many people adore “Chudov-grad” - it is former Razumovskogo park (P.A. Razumovskiy is the honored wood-grower of Russia, initiator and soul of the first park Kovernino).
And the real forest is located quite nearby, where one can lose the way and at the same time it generously shares with its wealth. It is like a wall, the genuine and true is kept behind it: Khokhloma, loved by everyone, the wooden houses with fretwork, old believers’ traditions, words, forgotten by many people, northern speech that is still preserved here and it is incredibly valuable for dialectological expeditions.